Why do I love/hate/love Wizz Air

I love Acer and I hate McDonald’s, things are plain and simple. But what if a company makes me love them and hate them at the same time? Can I ignore the bad things and love them anyway, or should I only see the bad things and ignore all the good things about them?

During the past few years, I’ve been using Wizz Air quite frequently, for at least 3-4 return flights per year. They are cheap, on time and sometimes they are the only airline that flies to my destination! I’ve been using them since 2007 and everything went smoothly most of the times. On time flights, no lost luggage, no cancellations, no overbooking. These are the reasons why I LOVE WIZZ AIR!

Since I’ve been flying Wizz Air often, I subscribed to their “Wizz Discount Club“. The subscription costs €30 and helps you save up to €10 per passenger per one-way flight, for yourself and all those traveling with you. I purchased it in November 2012 and it was supposed to last for one year.

Two months later, when I tried to book a flight ticket, I found that the prices were displayed without any discount and my account showed “Your Wizz Discount Club membership has expired.“. Like most low-cost airlines, Wizz Air only has expensive contact phone numbers, so calling them would have probably cost me much more than I was willing to spend, especially since it was THEIR FAULT. Since the discount I could get for this flight as a “Wizz Discount Club” member was €30 (which was exactly the cost of a new subscription), I decided to buy a new subscription along with the ticket and to try to solve the problem by email later on.

On the 18th of January, I sent the first email to Wizz Air (see the email addresses below), explaining the situation and asking them to “solve this problem by reactivating my old subscription and reimbursing me the money I paid for the new one“. I got no reply.

On the 23rd of January, I sent them a “gentle reminder”! On the 28th I sent them a second one, then yet another one. I also sent a complaint to the Wizz Air Customer Service, and got no reply. But I kept on sending them reminders every 2-3 days. These are the moments when I HATE WIZZ AIR.

After the 6th reminder (yes, you read well!), 24 days after my first email, I finally got a reply from them, saying that the problem had been caused by the fact that I had “2 registered profiles with the same e-mail address“. They accepted my request and offered to refund the money to my bank account and to merge my 2 accounts. Everything looked very simple!

After they had merged my 2 accounts, I tried to login, but the old password didn’t work. I tried to reset my password using the “Forgot your password?” procedure, but didn’t receive any email in the following 24 hours. It goes without saying that I checked the SPAM folder too. So I emailed Wizz Air again…

To my surprise, I got a very fast reply (after only 3 days) and I was again able to use my account. Wizz Air solved my problem exactly 1 month after my first email, on the 18th of February. On the 22nd of February I received the €30 refund in my bank account.

Wizz Air is a good low cost airline. I like flying with them and I recommend them to everybody. But I hope you won’t ever have to deal with their customer support! I needed their help twice: both times they solved my problem, but they replied only after many gentle reminders.

If you ever need to email them in the future, you can use the email addresses below:
- Customer.RelationsBUD@wizzair.com (they reply from this email)
- customerrelations.bud@wizzair.com
- helpdesk@wizzair.com
- customerrelations@wizzair.com
December 2015 update: Wizzair now provides a basic rate number, (+44) 0330 365 4902 (charged at local rates in UK), for existing bookings only (thanks 197jdm)!

I suggest you to send the email to all 4 of them and to CC yourself on the email. Also, keep sending them gentle reminders every 2-3 days. In the end, they will probably reply and solve your problem!

If you had a problem with Wizz Air and managed to get it solved faster please leave a comment and explain how you did that. We may all learn from it!

11 comments

1. Cyril says:

No Over booking??
    I suspect you must be working for wizzair to say that. We have just experienced a over booking with Wizzair on the Bucharest-London flight this morning. The customer service is the worse ever. Before to my flight I had to call the customer service to do change, which can be done only over the phone. It costed me £20 each time. I am not adding the way the customers are treated on the flight. I think there is a competition of the worse airline between Wizz and Ryanair but I think Wizz definitly wins and I hate Ryanair more than ever.
    Do not lie they treat their passengers very badly and that their business model.
    Fake blog post should be banned!!!
    Cyril

• cfc2000 says:

Wizzair service at Otopeni Airport, Flight W6 3015 to Doncaster. 12 September 2014

On June 12th (several months ago) 2014 I booked a return flight from Doncaster to Bucharest, together with accompanying car hire and accommodation via the Wizzair website. There were three passengers, myself, my wife and her brother. I purchased the “premium service” to include large cabin bag, reserved seat and airport check-in. I did this at least partly to avoid the usual hassle of trying to get to a printer when on holiday. The system worked well on our outward journey, but failed on our return. We returned the car at 2pm and went to the check-in desk at about 3.40, about 20 minutes after the check-in desk opened. I was astonished to be told the flight was over-booked and that only one passenger could go, even though we had reserved seats. Eventually I found a more senior officer who issued two “conditional” reserved tickets. In due course my brother-in-law was allowed on, but my wife was not. Needless to say she was very upset by this. She was told that she could not be allowed on the plane even though there were spaces in the cabin, and indeed in the reserved section which we had paid for, because there was no room for luggage. So she had to be put up in a hotel and return via Luton. Needless to say, no-one available at Luton and only a premium rate number to ring, and an £90 rail fare and a £9 taxi to get back to Lincoln. I won’t be using Wizzair again. They make Ryanair look good.

My complaint about this is that we had purchased the “Premium” service. Nowhere on the website does it say you have to check-in online if you have purchased this service. I suggest that if this is the case, Wizzair should make it clear that even though you have paid for reserved seats, and airport check-in, that if the flight is over-booked, Wizzair reserve the right to cancel the journeys of any or all of the passengers. So best not to waste your money. Best to choose any airline, even Ryanair. My wife has had to spend £90 in onward fares to get back to Lincoln over a day later. I’m not optimistic we’ll get the promised compensation, but if we do, I’ll post again.

• Lucian says:

Really bad experience indeed. I advice you though to keep asking them for the compensation. Keep sending them “Gentle reminders” via email and… I hope it will work.

2. Lucian says:

As strange as it may seem, I’ve been on more than 100 flights (with many different airlines) and I have never experienced an overbooking. It may be because I am lucky, or just because I always try to arrive on time and board amongst the first.

I have never worked for any airline, I just like to travel. This is very easy to check, but it’s probably easier to accuse than to check!

3. M. says:

Just wanted to say: Beware of their discount membership!! You have to be among the passengers if you buy the ticket with it. Changing the passenger details if you book it for family is not possible, and cancelling the flight is usually more expensive than the flight itself. I would highly recommend to everyone not to accept any offers from Wizzair even just due to their very poor customer service.

4. Lucas says:

Wizzsh… Flight to Katowice (PL) delayed 2.5h. Return … overbooked plus then delayed 1.1h – they couldn’t find the correct stairs!
    I used to fly with wizzair (now call it wizzszmata) with no issue but since last year I experienced delays. Not mentioning customer service which is definitely the worst among cheap airlines.
    Plus tickets are not cheap anymore… just checked return flight for Xmas for 2 adults + 2 children to Poland £1100 – this suppose to be cheap airline.

No recommending to anybody

5. D says:

was googling for answers and found this site. I bought “Wizz Discount Club” back in May 2014 when booked flight tickets for 4 people later in August 2014. When I again wanted to buy the tickets for 4 people in Feb 2015 I noticed they introduced 2 “Wizz Discount Club” packages and increased the price ($29.99 – for up to 2 people and £49.99 for more than 2 people).
    For some reason the booking process wanted me to pay extra £18 for the “Wizz Discount Club” for tickets booked for August2015, but I still had my old “Wizz Discount Club” membership running for 2 months. In the old membership it was one price for any number of passengers traveling together I think (or at least 4)

Anyway, I did pay extra £18 thinking it will extend my membership for another year.
    I just login to my account and noticed I am not a “Wizz Discount Club” member. That would be OK, if they hadn’t charge me the £18 to book discounted tickets during my old membership.
    I am going to complain, but don’t want to be using expensive telephone number, so will be sending emails out.
    Thanks for this article !!!.

6. 197jdm says:

I hate, hate, hate, calling expensive numbers and won’t do so wherever possible.
    Here’s a standard, geographic UK number for them, I used it in November 2015 and it worked fine: 0330 365 4902

That’s 0330 365 4902 which is standard rate from all UK landlines and mobiles

7. Vesna says:

Hey!
    I want to extend the Wizz dicsount club membership and there’s no information on how one can do that on their web page.
    The only option I get when trying to book a ticket is to upgrade my membership (pay for 5 travellers) which I don’t need.
    I’ve got no answer via mail, no answer on their FB page and I really don’ want to call them.
    Any information?

Thanks

• Lucian says:

I had the same problem. Searching on their site, I discovered that they explicitly say there’s no way to buy only the membership.
      But you can buy the cheap one (for 2) with a booking with more than 2 travelers, by clicking a small link just under the “buy the expensive membership” section!

Does this solve your problem?